Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fidelity

Lately issues of infidelity have become a frequent occurrence. David Letterman admitted having had several affairs with women in his office; several friends of mine have spoken with me about personal relationships suffering or ending due to this problem; and the book I'm reading, Wildflower by Mark Seal, details the life of a devoted wife who was laid by the wayside when her husband's constant infidelity finally led him to leave her. It seems in today's age and time that fidelity is no longer the rule, but the exception. Maybe I am naive and have recently had the sheep's wool lifted to see the world in its true state. This I just cannot bring myself to believe.

When I first started coming across all these different cases I began losing faith in love and wondering if a marriage could exist without such deceit. I have always based my ideals of true love and marriage upon my parent's 26 year marriage. To my knowledge they have both remained faithful for the entirety of their marriage. They actually meant their vows. I always assumed that their relationship was the norm, but now I am not so certain.

However, I refuse to become jaded about something as beautiful as love. Whether my parents are the exception or the rule matters not. I have faith that true and lasting love exists and I will settle for nothing less. Whenever I am discouraged by the infidelity evident in our society I turn to 1 Corinthians 13. This chapter highlights what perfect love (love of God for us) looks like and the importance of having love present in our lives. Verses 8 and 13 are the most relevant to this particular topic. Verse 8, "Love never fails..." Verse 13, "Three things will last forever -- faith, hope, and love -- and the greatest of these is love." (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate