Wednesday, August 24, 2011

One Day

I have to begin this post with a confession: I sneak into movies. There I said it. Now that that is out in the open you should know that I do this frequently. About once a month I treat myself to a Sunday Funday where I pay Carmike $5 and catch up on all the movies I couldn't coerce someone to go with me to. One day I challenged myself and prepared by bringing (I also sneak in food/drink...I'm a bad person, I'm aware) 4 Dr. Peppers, 2 chocolate items and 2 sweet items. I had a beverage and snack for each movie. If you are good at math then you realize I saw 4 movies back-to-back in one afternoon. I was kinda proud...don't judge.

Anywho, this past Sunday afternoon I decided to see "The Help" and "One Day" because my roommates saw it while I was out of town...sad day. "The Help" did not disappoint and I definitely teared up at several points. If you haven't read the book, you NEED to because the book is ALWAYS better than the movie and this film was great. I also lucked out because the 4pm show was sold out so I had to attend the 5pm show which left a considerable gap until the 9:45 showing of "One Day" and "Captain America" was the perfect filler. It was well made and I loved how it alluded to the era it was created in by being less dark than the most recent Batman series.

Now to the piece de resistance: "One Day" with adorable Anne Hathaway and dreamy Jim Sturgess. I now want, no need, to move to England so I can run into him on the regular. This movie was very sad and I loved it because it really made me think about life. The underlying theme is that of squandered moments. I don't want to give away the plot so I won't. After viewing the film my heart ached for all the moments that I too had squandered. I could really relate to the main character in the sense that he watched his life pass him by and felt remorse.

I am incredibly happy with the track that my life is currently on, but there are a lot of moments in the past where I have chosen poorly or thought only of the present. I think there is a lot to be said for living in the moment and it is joyous, but one should also have the future in the back of their minds.

The movie also made me think of my love life as any romantic movie will inevitably make a single lady do. I tend to fall head over heels for assholes. I like nice guys, I really do, but I can never seem to find one that actually has a pair. I am a really strong personality and the last thing I want to date is some guy that has no spine. Hence my attraction to jerks. The movie really made me consider how many great guys I have missed out on because I instantly wrote them off as a friend.

Here is to being more open minded and giving nice guys a chance. I am going to move away from the jerk with the devilish grin and start going for the man with the angelic heart. Who knows how it will work out. At the end of the day though, I won't have squandered any precious moments on someone who is inherently a not nice person.

Another plot point is that one day can make a dynamic difference in your future and life and I am looking forward to my one day and where it leads me!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, how's it been. Sneaking into movies, and this is a regular thing with you, naughty. What no one checks the theaters? And what did you use to bring the treats in a big purse or bag? Yeah, I try to go to the movies with my sister or another girl just so they bring an industrial sized purse. One big enough to fit a little person in or a mini cooler stuffed with yummies. You know cause if I walked in with a "bag" I'd probably get checked or people would look at me weird. So four movies, "The Help," "Captian America," "One Day," and what was the fourth one? So you liked "One Day" and you now want to move to England just to run into Sturgess, cool. Never had a movie make me want to move somewhere, but the "Gladiator" did make me want to say "Are You Not Entertained?!" to a crowd of people after doing something awesome. I thought "Captain America" was going to be lame because all he has is a sheild so I really didn't care to see it. I haven't seen the movie "One Day" yet and it did look pretty good in the previews, maybe I'll see it this weekend. But yeah, the squandered moments thing I can relate to that a bit. There was this girl and the first time I say her there were no words. She had these eyes that were soft, deep, but kill. I took a while, but I finally got to be hers and she mine. Well long story short It was she who broke it off and yeah it was entirely my fault. No, nothing like cheating or anything; it was time "squandered." I suppose I didn't have the balls, but I guess I kinda felt unworthy like bieng with her was surreal that sooner or later the dream was going to end anyways. Well I saw her all through High school and we shared classes together, and sometimes our eyes would meet for a moment like we each had something more to say, but in the end we went our seperate ways. If I could've said one last thing to her I would've said sorry. And try to have "attempted" to patch things up. It just ended up being awkward. Among other things you can plan life, but it really doesn't mean anything, sometimes we're not in control, life throws turns at us and we are not calling the shots anymore we're just basically along for the ride. I've had a couple like that, one bad one in particular. What do you think is the most important thing? Its love right, I mean, everybody wants to be loved and I mean when you actually feel it. Kinda like with your family, it’s just one of those things you grow into. But when you actually experience it with someone else, it’s very interesting, fulfilling, and magical. But yeah those are the things I think shouldn't be "squandered." Anyway I gotta cut this "short," but I got a few more things to say. You said you liked the band Angels and Airwaves well I was on the other day and came across something, and you like free stuff right? Yeah who doesn't ok Angels and Airwaves are giving their new album released in Feb. away for free yeah I was super late. If you don't already have it here is the adress.

    http://modlife.com/modlifedigital/download.php?fuid=1302298423

    No tricks or viruses its called Love:partI and there is another coming out in Nov. with the movie the band created called "Love." It looks really good and you gotta watch the trailer. Oh and here is an adress to a really good scene from the movie.

    http://en.blink182forever.com/news/3193/given-a-pass-scene-from-love/

    Hope you enjoy it. Bye.

    Anonymous ME

    ReplyDelete

Translate