Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Night the Burglar Came to My Room

It was a typical evening in the Caylor household. Dad was at work finishing his rounds and Mom was getting us ready for bed. Bath time went smoothly and it was not until I went to put on my pj’s that things got crazy.

I ran down the hall (we had bath time in my parent’s bathroom) and flipped on the light to Sarah (younger sister) and mine’s room. I picked out a sweet set of jammies for the both of us and ran back to hang out with Mom while Sarah finished her bath. After Sarah was squeaky clean and in the pj’s I brought her we walked into the hallway.

Mom abruptly stopped and stared into our bedroom with a very concerning look of trepidation. It freaked me out a little bit at age four or five or six –obviously my memory is excellent—to see her look so frightened. Before I realized what was happening she had grabbed the butcher knife from our kitchen and was quizzing Sarah and I on whether or not we had left our bedroom light on in the most frantic of whispers. I sure was not going to tell the hysterical woman wielding the glistening knife that I was the culprit. I watched anxiously as Mom inched toward our doorway. A few steps before reaching the threshold she had a change of heart and dropped the knife back off at the kitchen on her way to dragging us barefoot down the gravel driveway to our neighbor’s the Michaelcheck’s.

The moments following are blurry and I don’t remember any distinct details. My memory picks back up with me standing at my parent’s feet and looking up at their, what seemed giant at the time, silhouettes. I remember my Dad had arrived by that point and the grown-ups were standing around about to call the police about the burglar. Now it all clicked and I realized that Mom thought the light was on from a burglar. I knew that the cops meant serious trouble and that I had better speak up even though I feared the worst kind of punishment was about to be brought down on my head. I meekly tugged at Dad’s coat, and if you know me you know I do not do anything meekly so this was highly out of character for me, and timidly confessed my guilt in a barely audible tone.

There was instant relief that our home remained criminal free, but that was immediately followed by anger at me wasting their time. I reasonably explained my hesitation due to the intimidating appearance Mom gave off when I thought I was going to be chopped to little pieces for forgetting to turn the light off upon exiting my bedroom. They understood but sternly lectured me all the same about the consequences of not owning up to things. Believe me I thoroughly learned my lesson that night. We trekked back to our house and I slept easy knowing that the giant butcher knife was sheathed.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Laura. I suppose this was in Memphis, right? Your mom must've been like one of those Loinesses on Discovery Channel protecting her cubs. I guess you never left the lights on after you left the rooms anymore. So was the part of town you lived in pretty bad or just the occasional break-in? I lived in Memphis before, but I don't know what part though. I want to say that it was sort of tough, but that was because my grandfather bought the house a long long time ago. He was stubborn and did not care about how the area changed over the years. He had his gun and that was enough to keep the bad guys out, but I'm sure he didn't really do anything with it. Ok, now your mom seems the bravish type and I'm assuming she would have Bruce Lee-kicked that door down and let'em have it. When you said that she had got that knife I thought for a moment "Mommie Dearest," but she doesn't seem the type. You must have looked cute like in the movies when you said " meekly tugged," and "and timidly confessed my guilt in a barely audible tone." I was like awww.
    Ok gotta cut this short and next time maybe I'll have more time to type, tight schedule. So you got any more childhood stories?
    Catchya later

    Anonymous ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    No this was in Dyersburg at my parent's current house. The entire town was super safe, but it was just one of those fight or flight moments and rational thinking went out the window. In Memphis we lived in a poor area and had bars on our windows so my Mom was probably just still in that mindframe. And my mom is only ferocious if one of her precious babies is in danger. Other than that she is the sweetest person ever and not at all violent or mean.

    I was pretty precious, I had super tangly curls back then and we always wore nightgowns. So I had a cute little afro up until sixth grade when I discovered gel.

    No more childhood stories currently, but I really enjoyed writing this one so I am kind of inspired to write another one.

    I feel you on the super busy week. It is Saturday night at 11pm and I am about to go to bed. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete

Translate