Thursday, January 27, 2011

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Lately I have been really introspective and considering why I act the way I do and why I am prone to certain responses (particularly the atypical ones). I think all of life is filled with mystery and I am in constant wonder at the majesty of the world I live in and I believe that I will spend the remainder of my days in this same state. But why? Why am I usually happy and very optimistic and other people seem to mostly be pessimistic or negative? I know that genetics and circumstance play a role and cannot be ignored when arriving at the answer, but honestly, I believe that a majority of our happiness is determined by ourselves.

Sure, everyone has bad days and moments that smiling seems impossible. I am addressing the everyday outlook an individual possess's not the exceptions we all experience. It takes nothing to make me laugh and smile and that is because I choose to see the joy in all things. A sunny day is something to be admired and appreciated. Just the feeling of warmth from the sun's rays warms my spirit. I think the key to choosing happiness is first the conscious decision to want to be happy. I italicize want because I think some people enjoy the drama that misery brings and actually enjoy complaining.

After one opts to be a happy person, the rest is relatively simple. Take time to actually think about your life and how fortunate you are in comparison to anyone else. Compare your life right now to those affected by the Moscow or Arizona tragedies and already you are having a better day. Thinking rationally and taking a step back to see that in the scheme of things your struggle is usually minute compared with many others is helpful. Find joy in little moments throughout the day. When someone holds a door open for you, lets you ahead of them in the grocery line, smiles at you, or shows any kindness; don't brush it off and ignore it. Actually think about their deed and how nice it was of that person and you will feel happier because the world seems kinder in that moment.

Another way I find joy is by knowing my go to happiness creators. As I mentioned earlier, we all have bad days and moods and knowing how to curtail that blah mood is key. I know that listening to certain songs, watching youtube clips, going for a run, writing in my journal or calling certain family members always improves my mood. I choose when I am having a bad day to use the prior mentioned tools to get over my sadness.

Sometimes just taking five minutes to be pissed about the issue and then laughing at myself for how trivial it is, is all I need to wear a smile again. This speaks to the introspection I spoke of in the first paragraph. Knowing yourself allows you to sense if something is irritating you and know how to correct it before you blow up on the cashier or a random person. I really like helping others and giving out kindness into the universe. Making someone smile or laugh makes me feel better always.

Ever watch a group of children playing? They are filled with that innocent and genuine joy that a lot of adults seem to lose through struggles and hardships. I think that we all need to find that childlike wonder again. Go play on a playground, fly a kite or play hide-n-seek. I guarantee you will smile at some point, whether you want to or not. I have never lost that sense of wonder and often joke with friends that I am a five-year old at heart. I am content to watch the clouds pass by or stare at the stars. It may seem immature that at age twenty-five I still enjoy a good game of tag or red rover, but I don't care. Taking time to forget any worries I have and just play is how I stay so happy.

Obviously individuality is the key word here. Find what takes you away from your stress and leaves you with that sense of peace, which is the greatest joy, and make time for it in your day to day life. Stop worrying what other people think about you, and do what makes you happy (within reason and the law). Dance in your car, scream along with your favorite song, build a blanket fort in your living room, or anything that is silly. It's impossible not to laugh while doing these things. The choice is yours.

Stop postponing your happiness and just be happy. The decision is and always will be yours and no one can take away your joy unless you let them. Why waste your day mad over something that happened that morning. It doesn't change what happened it only ruins more of your day. Instead take a minute to change your mood and see how remarkably better your day is because you changed your attitude and outlook. I love Albert Einstein and so I leave you with a quote of his, "Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate