Sunday, November 21, 2010

Dearest George

George Killian's Irish Red is my alcoholic beverage of choice. I love the rich flavor and how it is the perfect addition to any great conversation or delectable meal. I recently visited the website for this particular brew and found that they designed the flavor to accompany not only Slim Jim's (my personal preference) but a variety of foods. Here is an excerpt from the website that captures the full-bodied beauty of my second favorite beverage: "Fresh and light enough to quench a hot thirst, substantial enough to stand-up to a meaningful conversation. Consistently delicious and never bitter, it goes with virtually everything. In fact, if what you're eating doesn't taste good next to a George Killian's, maybe you shouldn't be eating it."

Through my adult years I have tried a variety of drinks to find the one that compliments not only my lifestyle, but my personality and tastes as well. And George Killian's Irish Red is that drink. My first taste of Killian's was several years ago when my friend Almo let me bum a beer. It was love at first sip and I've been a beer girl ever since. Long Island Ice Teas used to be my drink of choice (and they are still top 5) but after Killian's entered my life I was a changed woman and couldn't place any drink but Dr. Pepper above my beloved.

The reason I glowingly reference Killian's is because we've been through so much together. We've stayed up til 4am discussing deep philosophy, we've laughed and cried at well crafted films, we've had a quiet evenings alone snuggled up with a book, and we've had a couple rambunctious adventures, too. I take the sentiment of it going with all foods one step further in stating that it goes with all occasions as well. George has been my buddy through thick and thin. That is not to say I use alcohol to cope or that I drown sorrows in beer. It is to say that George has been the perfect addition to already meaningful moments.

Have you ever noticed how the last few people at a party are always deep in conversation and content to remain in that stand still state for hours on end. I credit Killian's (and other factors) to playing a role. Taking in a savory drop of beer lets you have a moment with your thoughts to contemplate that last comment made and think of an eloquent concept to send back to your avid listeners. It allows you a few moments to just soak in the glow of a bonfire and appreciate good friends and great moments. You are in no hurry to retire to bed because deep issues are being resolved and discussed in this moment and Killian's slows down the moment so you appreciate what you are a part of enough to stay a few more minutes. It lets your guard down just enough that you are willing to be honest and forth-coming and therefore have a real and meaningful conversation without the falsity of fitting into society's definitions holding you back.

What I'm trying to say is that alcohol isn't always a negative thing or an enemy. Often times it accentuates an evening so perfectly that you think of all the times prior that were equally monumental and thank God for the leisure time. All things when used in moderation and in the proper setting are wonderful. George Killian's is no exception and goes a step further by actually improving upon an already great moment. That is why when I drink beer I drink George Killian's Irish Red. And while I'm not the most interesting man in the world, I am somewhat interesting and having a great time with good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate