Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Salvation

No, this is not a religious post as the title might lead you to assume. Do I even need to tell you what happens when you assume? I didn't think so.

Back to the original purpose of writing this, The Avett Brothers and another one of their songs I absolutely love and couldn't live without. I am starting to consider them in the running for my favorite band. They are definitely top 5 material currently.

The song I am referring to is "Salvation Song" off their album Mignonette. This song, like many other Avett Brothers' songs, really captures my attention with its lyrics. I enjoy most types of music, but I truly cherish artists that consider the meaning behind their lyrics. Those that actually put emotion into their songs and draw from personal and real life experiences as opposed to just writing superficial bull shit and adding a catchy beat. Although those songs are typically more fun to dance to, they lack the depth I'm looking for in my music.

Personal preference and opinion aside, I'll let the lyrics of "Salvation Song" speak for themselves. I have included the verses that stood out most to me below:

And if your love laughs at your dreams
Well it's not as bad as it seems
Either way one of them has got to go
And if you take of my soul
You can still leave it whole
With the pieces of your own you leave behind

Wow. A good song is one that makes you think about the meaning of the lyrics and appreciate the duality of different stanzas. A great song is one that illustrates your personal thoughts and experiences in eloquent ways you couldn't describe yourself. When I have an "aha" moment during or after a song and immediately think to write down the lyrics because I can't imagine a better way to phrase something, that is when I know I am experiencing a great song that I will enjoy many times over. "Salvation Song" is a great song because we have all had bittersweet relationships where the last three lines mentioned above ring completely true.

The Avett Brothers and Bob Dylan are my go to bands for fall because they are meaningful and a little soulful. That combination goes great with a hot chocolate, a good book, or even to make writing that paper seem a little less tedious and mundane. Do yourself and your ears a favor and add "Salvation Song" to your fall playlist. Let the music resound in your soles as you stroll amongst the leaves in the crisp autumn air.

(And yes, I meant to spell soles as I did. I'm talking about your feet people. But then again, you could use souls as well because, after all, it is called "Salvation Song")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate