Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Summer Sweat

Challenge #2: Using 200 words, describe summer:

I could do this challenge using one word: SWEAT. I don't know if it's me, the Tennessee humidity, or both; but summers here are beastly. And that word appropriately describes how my hair looks during the summer. The lion's mane is in full force when that humidity hits.

Summer isn't just about how gross I look, it's also about slowing down. From age five to present I have attended school. This means I work hard for the majority of the year, but when summer arrives it brings with it my lackadaisical attitude. Evenings are filled with cookouts, ice tea in giant mason jars with lots of ice, crickets chirping in rhythm (side note: it took me 4 tries to spell that stupid word correctly), fireflies dancing among the stars, and sand volleyball on the regular.

Daytime is best spent staying cool indoors or lounging poolside. On lucky days there is even a creamsicle waiting. Every now and then I like to pretend I have the capability of tanning, but it's hard to become bronzed without the perfect float, great music, and the help of my coach, Roo.
(Another side note: I don't actually hire someone to help me tan as is evidenced by the countless photos of my pasty self. However, my bestie, Maeg, was once a professional tanner and I used her strict training regimen to get my self in shape one summer. (Side note about my side note: Maeg didn't actually tan professionally, that would be weird, but she should have because of how dark she gets) Below and to the right is photographic proof that even ghosts like me can get a tan if they work hard at it. Right: Mae & I, Below: Mae, Tiller & I riding a trolley).

All in all, summer to me is equivalent to a sauna: extremely warm, you sweat A LOT, but ultimately...it's good for you, body and soul.

(Last side note: if you are a nerd like me and actually count the words, the side notes are not part of my description and therefore not part of my total word count which is exactly 200)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate