Monday, March 4, 2013

Aluminum Chef

Hawaiian Roll Ham Sandwiches:
This relatively simplistic yet highly flavorful recipe is excellent for game days, a small snack, or the perfect partner to a bowl of soup. My mom has made these for our family for many years so I decided to try some different ingredients and mix things up to find the right flavor combination.  
 
Ingredients:
-2 packs of Hawaiian Rolls
-Ham ( I used the sandwich meat version)
-3/4 cup of butter
-1 1/2 tsp of Dijon mustard
-1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
-1 1/2 tsp dried onions
-poppy seed
-12 slices of cheese (the recipe calls for swiss, which is delicious, but I had shredded cheddar and mozzarella at the house and chose to use those)

The first thing you do is halve each roll and place the ham and cheese of your choice down before adding the top half. You then mix the Dijon, Worcestershire, butter and onion and melt until smooth. This mixture you drizzle over your sandwiches. Bake at 350'F for 10-15 minutes. I wanted to experiment so I used mozzarella cheese in one row, sharp cheddar cheese in one row, and added tomato slices to one row. 

I really enjoyed the tomato slices. They added a slightly sweet moistness to the sandwich which counterbalanced the crunch from the baked roll. My favorite was the sharp cheddar because it complimented the glaze nicely and added just enough tang to keep the meal interesting. The mozzarella was good, but offered a much more subdued flavor. In the future I would use either swiss or sharp cheddar and add tomato slices to a couple. As you can see from my picture, the one thing I would do differently is fold my laundry after I pulled these bad boys out of the oven so I can avoid burning them.                                                                                                                      

Mangez bien, riez souvent, aimez beaucoup
(Eat well, laugh often, love abundantly)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate